paella sauté with saffron
Can Be Cooked In Under 30 Minutes
Chicken-flavored Rice or Steamed Rice
3 ounces chorizo or other spicy smoked sausage, (tofu or tempeh?) diced
1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 scallions, chopped
1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup thawed frozen peas
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon saffron threads, crumbled
1 1/2 cups Homemade Fish Stock
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper or freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
Hot pepper sauce
Chopped parsley, for garnish
1. In a large (12-inch) nonstick skillet, cook the chorizo with 2 tablespoons of water over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until he water evaporates and chorizo lightly browned, about 6 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer the chorizo to paper towels to drain,
leaving U1e drippings in the skillet.
2. Add the shrimp lo tile skillet and cook, stirring often, just until pink and firm, 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside with the sausage.
3. Add the oil to the skillet and heat over medium heat. Add the scallions, red pepper, and garlic. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cover. Cook until the vegetables soften, about 4 minutes. Stir in the peas, oregano, and saffron.
4. Ina small bowl, combine the fish stock, wine, and crushed red pepper. Whisk the cornstarch to dissolve. Stir into the skillet and bring to a simmer. Return the Shrimp and chorizo to the skillet, and cook until the sauce thickens and the shrimp and chorizo are heated through, about 1 minute. Season with salt and hot pepper sauce to taste.
5. Spoon the rice into individual soup bowls and top with the shrimp, sausage, and sauce. Sprinkle with the parsley and serve immediately.
Chicken Paella Sauté: Substitute 1 pounds boneless and skinless chicken breast, cut into strips 2 inches long and 1/4 inch thick, for the shrimp. Cook in the chorizo droppings in the skillet until lightly browned, about 5 minutes, then set aside with the chorizo. Continue with steps 3, 4, and 6.
Makes 4 to 6 servings